Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pre-introduction Update.

[First and foremost: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE DATES OF THE POSTS! I edit them regularly!]
Latest Update: Reviews, other stuff added 2/21/24 (all reviews added this year are noted with asterisks)

As always, it's been a while since the last updating, so I hope to get some more "new" John Cashman reviews on here soon, plus additions to the various side lists. If this is your first visit to NTVBR, the particulars of my strange obsession follow after this post (which is really just a collection of the last few updates).

I've been sprinkling in some TV Book close-ups pairing interesting Cashman reviews with the fantastical art of Gary A. Viskupic, one of the regular illustrators for these guides. (For example, I've added a Viskupic illustration to the Casablanca review, plus there's a scan of the Feb. 23rd, 1975 TV Line with the review for The Maltese Falcon, featuring a pertinent question.) I suggest that at some point you check out this post (and then this one... and then this one) from my regular blog for a look at Viskupic's skewed visions.

I changed the template not realizing it would significantly alter my sidebar menu. So rather than mess with links, the whole dang thing is on this one page now, and more needs to be edited to make more sense. Consider it a WIP and accept it for what it is...

But I've saved the biggest news of all for last: I had a correspondence with one of Cashman's children and it's taken me a mere four years to get some of the info she related to me included here in the introduction! (My news breaks like a hydroelectric dam. Slowly, over much time.)  Enjoy!

5 comments:

justjo said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I loved reading the Newsday movie reviews as a kid. I hadn't thought about them in years, then the other night my husband was watching an old movie & couldn't quite name the very young actress who was heating up the screen. I blurted out, "That's the passionate Yvonne DeCarlo!" So now I've had to search the Internet in an effort to explain to him why I find Yvonne DeCarlo to be so passionate.

Do you have the review of "Gunga Din"? Couldn't find it on your list. I think it began with, "Simply the grandest adventure film ever made... " and ended with, "Sam Jaffe and an elephant". Abner Biberman was in there, too.

Finding your blog has been like finding buried treasure. I look forward to spending time re-reading these. Thanks again.

psaur said...

Thanks, jj, for the nice words and encouragement. I'm glad you enjoyed rediscovering these. That's exactly why I share them.

It's interesting to me that you quote from memory a Cashman review that's a genuine rave and not a one-line zinger like I've concentrated on here. Interesting because I've often considered compiling all the Cashman reviews I have (this site represents a fraction), kinda like a Maltin or Ebert guide. I'd then highlight the really amusing ones. That way it'd become both a comprehensive movie buff's guide and an easy perusal for the funnier stuff.

At other times, that seems like a tremendous waste of time, even for this dedicated preserver of obscurity. So I'll count your comment as a vote towards that end.

Since, statistically, there are bound to be others who saw my site, agree with your sentiment but didn't comment, I'm just gonna go ahead and count your vote as, like, four votes. And I really don't need much more encouragement than that. Consider it done!

Someday.

The O'Shaughnessys said...

Keep them coming! Your blog should be so popular I won't have to explain who Hugh Pepper is.

vtbuddha@yahoo.com said...

I am John Cashman's youngest daughter, patricia.
My father died in 1985. He was a great writer.
It was weird to see his reviews online. I never thought anyone else appreciated his wit. Thanks.

psaur said...

Wow, great to hear from you! I'm glad you appreciate that your father's reviews continue to be read and enjoyed online. You might be surprised to learn just how many people find my blog by searching his name or "70's newsday movie reviews" or something like that. Please keep checking in, I hope to get a lot more of his work up here...